China is one of the biggest food suppliers to the US as well as multiple other countries around the world. Food and Water Watch ( a non profit organization) claims that in 2006, 80% of the apple juice drank by US consumers was imported directly from China. Food and safety standards are typically not at the same level as those in the US. With recent food scandals, and large food and drink imports of Chinese products, it’s hard to ignore these new norms.
The combination of the way the food is manufactured with the lax regulations and laws makes importing food and drinks from China very risky.
In 2016, the head of the Chinese FDA, states the food sector in China has made progress, but there is still quite a way to go.
Until the standards are at the same level as that of the US, it’s best to avoid these 17 food items imported form China.
Did you know that China is the largest salt producer in the world? Of the 90 million pounds of salt they produce each year, only 9% is safe to consume. The other 91% is mixed with harmful chemicals and heavy metals.
The Department of Agriculture allows the US to buy chicken from China, but sometimes it isn’t the safest food to eat. Employees from a meat processing plant called OSI were found guilty of selling contaminated chickens to restaurant chains like McDonalds and KFC. Some animals actually died from eating this chicken in the form of jerky.
A whopping 31% of the garlic consumed in America is imported from China. However, it contains trace amounts of methyl bromide, which is used as a pesticide. It’s also an active ingredient used to kill mice.
Don’t buy frozen fish if it comes from China. Chinese farmers let their animals’ feces fall into the water where the fish are bred. This results in the fish eating the feces. Not only do they eat fecal matter, but antibiotics are a large part of their diet too.
In order to grow a good and plentiful crop, farmers may use pesticides and chemicals to help them. It’s been reported that Chinese farmers spray their mushrooms with sodium sulfite, chlorinating agents, and anhydrous calcium agents.
You may not know if you are eating real or artificial peas if they come from China. In two different factories, artificial peas were being produced. They were sold as standard peas without the consumer’s knowledge.
Television doctor, Dr. Oz brought attention to the levels of arsenic found in apple juice on his show in 2011. Though arsenic is naturally found in organic fruits, people disregarded his claims until just a few months later Consumer Reports came up with similar results. The arsenic in organic apple juice wasn’t natural, but toxic.
Baby formula can be pretty costly, but it’s necessary for some children. Unfortunately, a few years ago formulas with defective packaging and inexpensive brands were repackaged and labeled with brand names. Arrests were made, but the China Food and Drug Administration never announced recalls of the formula.
Sweet Potato Noodles
A number of factories in China were forced to close when inspectors discovered that there was wax and industrial dye used in the process of making the sweet potato noodles.
A chemical, 4-methylimidazole, which is considered a carcinogen, was found in 11 of the 40 well-known soy sauce products. Since soy sauce is used almost every day in a Chinese household, people agree that this issue should be taken more seriously.
Be careful the next time you drink some Bubble Tea. German researchers discovered that these delicious tapioca pearls contain chemicals that cause cancer and can affect your immune system, nervous system, endocrine system, and reproductive system.
To speed up the fermentation process, it was discovered that manufacturers will use feces and iron sulfate in their tofu.
There are some pesticides that should be used on some plants and not others. The China Central Television (CCTV) network discovered that some farmers were using pesticides that are commonly used on roses, peanuts, cotton, and sweet potatoes were being used on ginger at six times the instructed dose.
A study was performed on ginseng from ten cities. They tested to see if pesticides were used on the ginseng. It turns out every sample they tested contained a number of pesticides and was declared “extremely hazardous” by WHO!
Canned peaches from China were found to contain twice the allowed amount of lead. This was discovered by the National Measurement Institute located in Austrailia.
An investigation performed by the United States Department of Agriculture found that fish farms in China were in close vicinity of industrial factories. This lead to the air, soil, and water being contaminated.
Farmed shrimp in Asian countries were tested and found to contain a number of antibiotics that have been banned in the United States. These include carcinogen nitrofurazone, enrofloxacin, and chloramphenicol.